Photograph by Ciara Callaghan
1, 8, 15, 22, 29 June 2022
6 July 2022
*Now starting Wednesday 8th June
(Week 6 TBC)
Gift vouchers available
Please read our Booking Terms and Conditions below carefully before booking.
Who is this class suitable for?
Beginners and intermediate
What will be covered in the class?
Over six weeks students will begin by learning basic embroidery techniques and then develop more technical skills in silk shading/ thread painting. These techniques will be used to create a realistic embroidery of a plant or flower of the student's choice. This is a slow and mindful course that will allow students the time and support to develop a new skill while enjoying the flow state of needlework and a deeper connection to nature.
1. Learning and experimenting with basic embroidery techniques and image transferring skills
2. Learning more complicated silk shading techniques such as color blending and practising them in combination with the basic embroidery techniques from the previous week
3. Choosing the botanical image we would like to work with, selecting colours and transferring the image onto fabric. Planning our embroideries.
4. Working to build a realistic leaf using silk shading and paying attention to structure, light and angle to create a realistic 3D effect
5. Working to build a realistic petal using silk shading and paying attention to structure, light and angle to create a realistic 3D effect.
6. Looking at which techniques can be used to add detail to stem, pistil and stamen
What will I need to bring?
Materials and tools are included.
Art Studio. The art studio is situated at the top of a flight of stairs. Tools are all light and accessible. Work benches are not currently height adjustable.
Ciara Callaghan is a natural colour and textile artist based. Her work is an exploration into being present and finding calm in the making process as well as functional textiles as fine art objects and the history of a piece of textile art from dyeing and making through to the relationship of owning. Ciara creates a learning environment where you can slow down and leave busy life behind you as you learn new skills and enter the flow state of making.