Parents and Children Privacy and CookiesLast update: 20 May 2020
This page is for grownups. It explains that we sometimes record your personal information to help us make our website better. We hope this is OK but if not, your grownup can get in touch with us.
Please show this page to your parent or guardian before you use the site. Talk to them if you are unsure about any part of it.
Who collects the information?
We are The Board of Trustees of Milton Keynes Arts Centre and we are the data controllers. MKAC presents exhibitions, live events and educational activities inspired by our historic setting, offering unique and meaningful collaborations between artists, children, young people and our diverse, often marginalised communities.
MKAC is an exempt charity under Schedule 3 of the Charities Act 2011.
MKAC principal place of business is: Milton Keynes Arts Centre, Parklands, Great Linford, Milton Keynes.
If you have questions regarding this privacy notice, please contact our Data Protection Officer by email: or by phone: +44 (0)1908 608108
How do we collect information?
We collect your information when you decide to use our website. We look at how you use the website and if you submit artwork to the gallery, so that we can improve your future experiences.
We collect your information when:
• You use the website
• You submit an artwork to the website
• You contact us
• You answer a survey on MKAC
• You visit the website from a third-party source such as an email or social media
What kinds of information do we collect?
We collect personal information if you use the online form or if you e-mail us.
We also collect the additional information each time you visit our website.
1. When you visit the website we may collect:
Your IP address, which is a unique number that allows a computer, group of computers or other internet connected device to browse the internet. It records the time and date of your visit, the pages that were visited, the referring website (if provided) and your internet browser version.
Information from cookies, such as:
• the date and time of your visit
• what pages you went to
• the site you had been to before you came to us
• the type of browser you are using (for example, Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.)
• what buttons you clicked on
• your operating system (for example, Apple Macintosh, Windows, etc)
• the letters at the end of your internet providers web address (for example, .co.uk, etc)
• your server address (for example, 199.203.456.789)
• where you came from (such as a Google search or an email we have sent you)
2. When you submit an artwork to the gallery we may collect:
• Your first name
• Your age
• The country you live in
All website surveys we run are anonymous, which means we can’t identify you. We will sometimes use your answers along with lots of other people’s answers to create audience profiles that help us to make our website more fun for you.
Why do we collect this information and how do we use it?
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
• to provide a service you have requested (such as submitting an artwork to our gallery)
• Where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation (such as detecting or reducing fraud)
• Where we need to take any actions to make MKAC better, and your interests and rights do not override those interests
We use this information to do the following things:
• improve our website
• help answer any questions you might have
• keep records of visitor numbers
• carry out research and create statistics
Who do we share this information with?
Information we have on what pages our visitors have looked at on the website is stored in Google Analytics. This information cannot identify you personally.
Advertising on other websites
We work with responsible marketing companies who help us to advertise the best content for you before or after you visit the website, and they do this using cookies. These cookies collect information such as what pages you have looked but none of this information can be used to identify you.
Advertising on social media
We also have cookies for Facebook and Twitter advertising on the website that will collect information on what pages you have looked at. They may collect information that can personally identify you but that is because you have clicked on a MKAC advert on one of these social media sites. There is more information on this in the Facebook and Twitter privacy policies online.
Cookies from other websites
During your visits to our website you may be delivered cookies by other websites. When you visit a page with content embedded from, for example Brightcove, you may be presented with cookies from these websites. MKAC does not control these cookies and if you want to know more, you should ask your parents to check their websites for more information.
How do we look after this information?
The information we get from cookies can’t be used to identify you personally and any information is stored within tools such as Google Analytics.
How long do we keep this information for?
We keep information in Google Analytics for 38 months - if you haven’t visited the site in 38 months, any information we have from you is automatically deleted.